Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Long Time Between Drinks

So this blogging thing has highlighted my tendancy to get distracted. Despite the best intentions, regular updates are clearly not happening!

To fill you in since I last wrote, it's been a busy, busy time. We've been exploring as much of Tassie as we could get to in between interstate visitors and my frequent travels to Melbourne to spend time with my grandfather. He passed away a few months ago and one of the things I'm saddest about is he never got to experience Tasmania. I think he would have loved it.

I know I do. It's a magical place that gets under your skin. We have traipsed up and down the East Coast numerous times now, and the amazing beaches still amaze me. We recently ventured to the North West corner with hubby's family and that was a great experience. We started at Cradle Mountain ~ staying at Cradle Mountain Wilderness Village ~ before heading on to Stanley and Ulverstone. All up, it was a great adventure and I'm so glad we were able to do it.

Cradle Mountain is all about the walking. We had a group of ... shall we say diverse ... ages and fitness levels, so we stuck to the 'easy' Dove Lake walk. I must admit I found it rather hard going ~ although I did have tonsilitis and I was carrying my 11 kilo daughter the whole time!

Driving around the North West corner from place to place was itself a highlight. The roads are excellent and the scenery is stunning. Which was good, because we did a lot of driving. From Cradle Mountain to Stanley, to Arthur River to Ulverstone to Hobart!

Arthur River was pretty cool. We did a very Tasmanian cruise along the Arthur River and had a guided walk through privately leased land alongside the river.

One of the biggest surprises for me were the spectacular beaches all along the north coast. Stanley is such a picturesque little town. It was a bit sad to see it wasn't doing as well as you would hope.

Ulverstone was much bigger than I'd thought - it had everything you could possibly need, and it's pretty close to Devonport too. Great fish and chips!

We're planning another trip up that way soon ~ hubby didn't get to do the 4WD track down the West Coast and is very keen to get the fat man actoss the Peiman!

No comments:

Post a Comment